Thursday, March 3, 2011

Soul Matters

The soul matters.  In a big way.

The last week we've had a lot going on at home.  In addition to busy schedules and long, unfinished task lists, my son was ill.  Several days were spent inside our little warm cocoon at home and we were both itching to get out.  As soon as we walked through the door and hit the sidewalk, he opened up his little arms wide to the world as if to say, "I'm back and I'm lovin' it!"  I know how he felt.  We even got to make a stop at his favorite park down the block to take a quick trip down the slide.

 This upcoming weekend is a women's retreat through our church called Soul Matters.  I'm staying with friends in a nice hotel and enjoying good teaching and personal time.  I'm leaving Friday and returning Sunday at lunch so I'll get a wonderful opportunity to enjoy some connecting with God, others, and myself.  I'm definitely bringing my running shoes along and hoping I can find a pretty trail in the area where the hotel is located.

When the soul gets a little weary from the daily trek of life, it's good to make sure that time with God is a priority.  Even if it can't be in the form of a weekend retreat, I find that quiet time to journal, read, and pray sharpens my vision and fills my tank for the next task at hand.  It's helpful for me to be in touch with those habits and activities that replenish my soul. First and foremost, I need...
Time with God.  This is all I need, I could stop the list here!  

There are other soul "thirst quenchers" that I can think of too.  This is not an exhaustive list, but a start:
  • Walking outdoors (surprise!)
  • Time having fun with family
  • Journaling
  • Crafting
  • Reading
  • An evening out with friends
  • A new decor or cooking magazine
  • Trips to the flea market
  • Going to the library
  • Trying a great new restaurant
  • Putting my feet up with a glass of wine and watching a good movie with my awesome husband
Make time for the things that speak to your soul, your soul matters!

0 comments:

Post a Comment